Videos from Past Events
Goodman Center Tami Tenant Panel Video
This event explored strategies implemented by Businesses in Technology, Advertising, Media, and Information (TAMI) tenants that might inform best practices in other sectors.
Goodman Center Tech Talk: The Workplace is Transforming
While new innovations in healthy, safe, and green work environments have been in development for many years, office space innovation has been accelerated by the pandemic. Learn more.
"Is the Timing Ripe to Go Public?" | April 2021
In 2020 amid the coronavirus pandemic, there were a record number of initial public offerings. Take a look at our discussion on this dramatic boost in IPO activity.
Goodman Center Tech Talk: Commercial Real Estate Sales | March 2021
Commercial real estate sales through online auctions have had significant growth over the past year...but will they last?
Commercial Real Estate Trends Event | November 2020
his event looked at the changing face of real estate. Panelists discussed the latest trends in commercial real estate and addressed key issues including changes in tenant behavior, flexible leasing terms and market disruptions and more.
Goodman Center Retail Panel Event | October 2020
Who will fill the shopping malls and stores on Main Street? A look at the state and future of retail amid and beyond the pandemic from our panel event October 14, 2020.
The Future of the Workplace Post COVID-19 Event | June 2020
This panel discussion provided a 360° look at returning to work post COVID-19 from a landlord, tenant, architect, engineering and transportation standpoint.
Recent Past Events Listing
April 14, 2021 | Is the Time Ripe to Go Public?
In 2020 amid the coronavirus pandemic, there were a record number of initial public offerings. Airbnb, DoorDash, Palentir Technologies, and Snowflake decided to hit the market along with 490 additional IPOs. In fact in 2020 the volume of IPOs more than doubled from 2019, and the IPO market raised $174 billion – an astounding 150% increase from the previous year.
The dramatic boost in IPO activity is, in part, driven by Special Purpose Acquisition Companies (SPACs), sometimes called blank check companies. In 2020, SPACs accounted for half of all IPOs.
Our distinguished panel of experts shared their insights on the IPO market and had a lively discussion about the role of SPACs with an emphasis on the real estate market.
- Moderator: Kathleen Weiss Hanley, Bolton-Perella Chair in the Department of Finance, Director of the Center for Financial Services, Lehigh University
- Paul Galiano Senior Managing Director, Co-Head of US Acquisitions, Dispositions, Capital Markets, Joint-Venture Transactions, Tishman Speyer
- Gil Ottensoser, Managing Director, Head of SPAC Investment Banking, BTIG
- David Panton, Managing Partner, SPAC Operations Group, Navigation Capital Partners
- Jay Ritter, Joseph B. Cordell Eminent Scholar in the Department of Finance, University of Florida
- Matt Wolpert, Portfolio Manager, Managing Director, Almanac Realty Investors, Neuberger Berman
This event was jointly hosted by the Goodman Center for Real Estate and the The Center for Financial Services.
March 24, 2021 | Tech Talk: Commercial Real Estate Sales through Online Auctions have had Significant Growth Over the Past Year...But Will They Last?
While commercial real estate auctions historically have been used for bank foreclosures, they have gained traction in recent years with bidding wars on “hot” properties across the country. This trend was accelerated during the pandemic and the subsequent shortage of strong stabilized assets for sale. With significant increases in technology and connected platforms, online CRE auction companies claim to provide greater transparency for buyers and a potentially higher sales price for sellers because the properties are open to broad markets. Major CRE marketing platforms have scrambled to acquire online auction platforms or develop their own. This was punctuated with CoStar’s purchase of TenX in 2020.
This event discussed the technology and trends with the largest CRE online auction platform, Real Capital Markets, which has recently been acquired by LightBox. LightBox is a real estate data and information service, akin to the Bloomberg Terminal, and provides the CRE industry and commercial lenders with data as well as digital map products.
- Justin Latorrem, Managing director of Auction Services at LightBox
- Loren K. Keim '88 '01G, Professor of Real Estate at Lehigh University and part of the Goodman Center for Real Estate in the Perella Department of Finance
March 10, 2021 | Tech Talk: Reimagining the Workplace and the Changing Landscape of PropTech
While new innovations in healthy, safe, and green work environments have been in development for many years, office space innovation has been accelerated by the pandemic. RXR, one of the largest landlords in Manhattan, has launched a combination of state-of-the-art technology and physical services to provide both the needed health and safety tools for office workers as well as peace of mind. Through a combination of high-tech sensors, data driven apps, physical services, and optimal space configuration, the company is providing a new vision for occupying office space.
The pandemic has also driven lasting changes to consumer and business behavior which have accelerated many technology trends underpinning the digitization of real estate. RXR’s vertically integrated platform provides it with a holistic perspective on the integration of new technologies within real estate which allows it to approach entrepreneurs as partners, offering unique perspectives. This alignment with entrepreneurs, along with RXR’s operator mentality, has allowed it to invest in leading companies within the PropTech sector, ranging from early-stage venture to growth capital.
- Moderator: Loren K. Keim '88 '01G, Professor of Real Estate at Lehigh University; and part of the Goodman Center for Real Estate in the Perella Department of Finance
- Matthew Boras, SVP on the investments team at RXR; and leads the RXR Digital Ventures investment strategy
- Cory Clark, Vice President of Product Management for RXR’s Digital Lab
November 18, 2020 | Commercial Real Estate Trends: Market Outlook and Emerging Trends in Commercial Real Estate Amid and Beyond the Pandemic
This event looked at the changing face of real estate. Panelists discussed the latest trends in commercial real estate and addressed key issues including changes in tenant behavior, flexible leasing terms and market disruptions. It explored the pandemic's impact on CRE and the growing importance of technology.
- Moderator: Loren K. Keim, Professor Real Estate, Lehigh University
- Sarah Dreyer, Vice President, Head of Americas Research, Savills
- Surabhi Kejriwal, Associate Vice President | Real Estate Research Leader, Deloitte
- Spencer G. Levy, Chairman Americas Research, Senior Economic Advisor CBRE-Americas Research
- Ken McCarthy, Principal Economist, Americas Head of Applied Research-Cushman & Wakefield
- David Seaman, Partner, PWC
October 14, 2020 | Retail Panel Event
Who will fill all of the empty stores on Main Street and the shopping malls?
- Moderator: Melissa Marsh, Founder & Executive Director of PLASTARC
- Barrie Scardina, Head of Retail for the Americas, Cushman & Wakefield
- Garrick Brown, Vice President, Retail Research of the Americas, Cushman & Wakefield
- Phil Colicchio, Executive Managing Director, Cushman & Wakefield
- Liz Edmiston, CEO, Dynamite Group
- Naveen Jaggi, President, Retail Advisory Services, JLL
- Stephanie Lee, Founder, SpaceUs
June 23, 2020 | The Future of the Workplace Post COVID-19
This panel discussion provided a 360° look at returning to work post COVID-19 from a landlord, tenant, architect, engineering and transportation standpoint. Watch the video below.
- Scott Ceasar, Senior Vice President, Director of Sustainable Design, Cosentini
- Thomas Durels, Executive Vice President, Empire Realty Trust
- Kevin Kelly, Senior Managing Director, Savills
- Melissa Marsh, Senior Managing Director, Occupant Experience, Savills
- David Weinberg, Principal, ZGF
- Craig Lemle, Senior Managing Director, New York City, Savills
February 11, 2020 | Co-working Conference Panel Discussion
- What is the short and long term effect on the industry after the recent changes in WeWork? A deep dive into the trends and perspectives of coworking and effects of Wework on the industry. Hear firsthand from a distinguished panel of industry leaders on the dynamic and evolving movement of coworking.
- Lucia Diana, Global Real Estate, Verizon
- Thais Galli, Managing Director, Studio,Tishman Speyer
- Melanie Gladwell, Executive Managing Director, Americas Head of Flexible Workplace, Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
- David Ledy ‘70, Chief Operating Officer, Partner, US Realty Advisors
- Melissa Marsh, Senior Managing Director, Occupant Experience, Savills Studley
- Representative of Cambridge Innovation Center, Ventas, Inc.
- Lehigh-Lafayette Real Estate Center 1st Annual Tailgate
- Tour of 425 Park Avenue,New York City and presentation with Speaker, Robert Lapidus, President and Chief Investment Officer and co-founder of L&L Holding Company, LLC | 425 Park Avenue is the First Full Block Redevelopment/New Tower on Park Avenue in more than 50 years!
- "The Art of the Deal" | A panel of industry leaders including Brokers, Property Managers, Engineers, Architects, Commercial Lending, Commercial Insurance, Lawyers, Economic Development, Environmental.
- "A Rise To The Top" the Annual Stacom Family Speaker Series keynote speaker-Marc Holliday, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of SL Green Realty Corp., hosted by Tara Stacom, Executive Vice Chairman, Cushman & Wakefield-One Liberty Plaza.
- "Constructing the Future: the Continuing Evolution of Real Estate" with Craig Lemle '74, Senior Managing Director, Savills Studley; Mike Butz '94, Partner and Head of Private Acquisitions and Loan Origination at Torchlight Investors; and Eden Abraham '12, Acquisition Associate, SL Green.
- "Women in Real Estate" | Panel Discussion and Networking Reception
- "Let's Talk Real Estate" with Vorndo CFO, Joe Macnow
- "Commercial Real Estate: The Rise of a New Generation" | 180 Maiden Lane World Trade Center
- John Cobb | "Getting the Deal Done"
- Tara Stacom | "An Insiders Look at Manhattan" World Trade Center Tour and Talk
- Ken McCarthy & Jason Greenstone | “Commercial Real Estate Trends” Presentation
- John Cobb | "An Introduction to the Real Estate Process" Presentation
- Marc Holliday | "Making the Grade"
- Larry Silverstein | “Looking Up: The New Downtown” at the World Trade Center & World Trade Center Exclusive Tours (additional information)
- Marc Holliday | "Behind the Glass Curtain," 3 Columbus Circle
- Mary Ann Gilmartin | "Forest City Ratner, The Atlantic Yards Development & Gehry Building"
- Pamela O’Neill, Linda Dietrick & Jane C.H. Jacob| "Finding the Value in Valuation" Panel
- Tara & Darcy Stacom | Keynote Speaker Event - "A Tale of Two Sisters"
- Rob Lapidus | "Behind the Uncertainty in NYC Real Estate"
- Bruce Mosler & John Mechanic | Keynote Speaker Event
- Marc Holliday | Renowned Real Estate Chief Lehigh University Visit - "$6 Billion Acquisition of Reckson Associates"
- Barry Gosin | "Studying the Rebirth of Bethlehem Steel"
- Student Tours - One World Trade Center, National Memorial, Museum and Calatrava Transporation Hub
- Rise and Fall of Bethlehem Steel Historic Walking Tour
- Lehigh Anthracite - A Historic Pennsylvania Coal Site Underground Tour
- 9/11 National Memorial & World Trade Center 7 Tour
- 1 World Trade Center & 4 World Trade Center - Alumni Tours
- 11 Times Square Tour
- Brooklyn Atlantic Yards and Gehry Building Tour with Keynote Speaker Mary Anne Gilmartin
- ArtsQuest Center and PBS Building Tour
- Easton Silk Mill Redevelopment Tour
- Allentown Waterfront Site Tour
- Sands Casino Tour
Real Estate Program Speakers
- Christa Kraftician, Architect, Spillman Farmer Architects
- Darlene Heller, Director, Planning and Zoning, City of Bethlehem
- Dave Bell, Senior Environmental Manager, Barry Isett & Associates
- John Bassler, Vice President, National Penn Bank
- Richard Somach , Attorney, Norris, McLaughlin & Morris, PA
- Steve Schwarz, VP Pre-Construction, Torcon
- Amy Novak, Senior Project Manager, Torcon
- Allison Zamfir, Investment Associate, PGIM Real Estate
- Craig Lemle, Senior Managing director, Savills Studley
- Borko Milosev, Developer, Post Road Management
- Chuck Moyer, Appraiser , Moyer Realty Advisors, LLC
- Joe Genay, Commercial Real Estate Appraiser/Consultant, The Advisory Group, LLC
- Joe Posh, Developer, Joseph T. Posh Properties
- Kent Brustlin, Commercial Real Estate Appraiser, Integra Realty Resources
- Michelle Brustlin, Commercial Real Estate Appraiser, Integra Realty Resources
- Lauren Gilchrist, VP, Director of Research, JLL
- Clint Randall, Research Analyst, JLL
- Tony Hanna, Director, Redevelopment Authority, City of Bethlehem
- John Callahan, Director of Business Development, Peron Development
- Dennis Benner, Partner, Benner & Piperato
- Mark Juliano, Former President, Sands Bethlehem Casino and Resort
- Dennis Benner, Attorney, Benner & Piperato and owner Boutique One Properties
- Garrett Benner, Attorney, Benner & Piperato
- John Cobb, Chief Investment Officer, Ventas
- Chris Dollard, Appraiser, Princeton Real Estate
- Kassie Hilgert, President and CEO, ArtsQuest
- Christine Ussler, Architect, Artefact, Inc.
- Kerry Wroble, President, Lehigh Valley Industrial Parks
- Kate Hart Zayaitz, Senior Commercial Relationship manager, Lafayette Ambassador Bank
- Kevin Campbell, President and COO, Barry Isett & Associates
- Adrienne K. Kwiatek-Holub, Vice President, BB&T
- Ed Falkowski, Director, Cushman & Wakefield Valuation & Advisory
- Joe Rubin, Principal, EY Real Estate Strategy and Transactions
- Walter Krzywicki, Director, Benchmark Appraisal Group
- Christin Phillips, Senior Vice President, Appraisers & Planners, Inc.
- Linda Dietrick, Managing Partner, Director, Dietrick Group