About the MS in Accounting Program
The MS in Accounting (MSA) degree program provides students with undergraduate degrees in non-accounting areas with the knowledge, skills, professional attitudes and experiences necessary to begin successful careers in accounting. The program leverages the strengths of Lehigh University’s acclaimed and AACSB accredited undergraduate accounting and MS in Accounting & Information Analysis (MSAIA) programs to serve the needs of graduate students who wish to enter the accounting profession, but lack undergraduate degrees in accounting.
The MSA program is geared toward high-performing individuals who have a bachelor's degree from an accredited university with successful course work in introductory financial accounting and introductory economics.
Lehigh University’s MSA program is a full-time, 12-month program requiring a total of 36 credits. Please see the MSA Curriculum Overview for details. During this 12-month period, MSA students will gain the technical accounting knowledge to successfully complete the CPA exam, network with prominent leaders of the accounting profession, hone their professional skills, and have the opportunity for experiential education through an 8-week paid internship in public accounting or industry.
Many graduates of this program will seek to become Certified Public Accountants (CPAs). To that end, the MSA curriculum is designed to meet the accounting educational background requirements for CPA certification in New York, Pennsylvania and many other states.
- CPA exam success – Lehigh University consistently ranks among the best schools in the nation in terms of its graduates’ first-time pass rate on the Uniform CPA Examination.
- Career placement – An internship opportunity is built into MSA program
- Networking with prominent accounting professionals – Lehigh’s Segal Accounting Distinguished Speaker Series, which meets weekly throughout the fall semester, provides Lehigh students unparalleled networking opportunities with leading accounting professionals. Recent speakers have included members of the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), and other prominent accounting professionals with leadership roles in public accounting firms, corporations, non-profit organizations, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and law enforcement. MSA students will participate in the Segal Accounting Distinguished Speaker Series in conjunction with MACC 490.
- Class accessibility – All summer courses and some spring semester courses will utilize Lehigh’s ClassroomLive format, which gives MSA students the option to attend in-person or remotely via video conferencing.
- Our student to full-time faculty ratio (12:1 within the accounting program) provides a high level of access to outstanding accounting faculty.
- Lehigh’s intensive, 12-month MSA program enables a quick start to your future career in accounting.