Ahmed S. Rahman’s research focuses on some of the big picture issues of economics, such as the long-run causes and consequences of economic growth, and the historic and contemporary relationships between economic and military power. Recently he has been using student outcome data to understand factors leading to education and human capital attainment. Prior to joining the Lehigh faculty Professor Rahman was an Associate Professor at the United States Naval Academy.
- University of Connecticut, B.A.
- Brandeis University, M.A.
- University of California Davis, M.S., Ph.D.
- Growth and Development
- Economic History
- Economics of Immigration
- Economics of Education
- Brady, R. R., M. Insler and A. S. Rahman. “Bad Company – Understanding Negative Peer Effects in College Achievement.” European Economic Review 98(3): 144-168. September 2017.
- Rahman, A. S. “A Simple Theory on the Effects of Industrialization.” – Macroeconomic Dynamics 21(1): 106-129. January 2017.
- Glaser, D. J. and A. S. Rahman. “Ex Tridenti Mercatus? – Seapower and Trade during the Age of Globalization.” 2016. Journal of International Economics 100(2): 95-111. May 2016.
- Creasy, E., A. S. Rahman and K. A. Smith. “Does Nation Building Spur Economic Growth?” 2015. Economic Inquiry 53(1): 660-680. January 2015.
- Glaser, D. J. and A. S. Rahman. “Engineering and Labor Specialization during the Industrial Revolution.” 2014. Cliometrica 8(2):173-200. May 2014.
- O’Rourke, K. H., A. S. Rahman and Alan M. Taylor. “Luddites, the Industrial Revolution and the Demographic Transition.” 2013. Journal of Economic Growth, 18(3): 373-409. October 2013.
- Chan, D., D. J. Glaser, A. S. Rahman and K. A. Smith. “Product Differentiation and Consumer Surplus in the Microfinance Industry.” 2013. B.E. Journal of Economic Policy and Analysis, 13(2): 991-1022. August 2013.
- Rahman, A. S. “The Road Not Taken - What Is the ‘Appropriate’ Path to Development When Growth Is Unbalanced?” 2013. Macroeconomic Dynamics 17(4): 747-778. June 2013.
- Creasy, E., A. S. Rahman and K. A. Smith. 2012. “Nation Building and Economic Growth.” American Economic Review (Papers and Proceedings) 102(3): 278-282. May 2012.
- Glaser, D. J. and A. S. Rahman. “Human Capital and Technological Transition: Insights from the U.S. Navy.” 2011. Journal of Economic History. 71(3): 704-729. September 2011.
- Rahman, A. S. “Fighting the Forces of Gravity – Sea-power and Maritime Trade Between the 18th and 20th Centuries.” 2010. Explorations in Economic History. 47(1): 28-48. January 2010.