Participants in this program will have the opportunity to travel and learn about business in two dynamic countries. Over the course of 2 weeks, students will interact with individuals such as key business stakeholders, business owners, business executives, and government officials in Vietnam and Singapore. The goal of the trip is to integrate global academic concepts learned in the classroom with the realities and functioning of business in Vietnam and Singapore. The trip will provide an invaluable opportunity for students to gain global experience in two contrasting yet innovative, dynamic markets.
This business elective course is part of Lehigh’s Global Initiative within the College of Business.
This trip will take place January 3-17, 2020.
- January 3: Depart JFK Arriving in Ho Chi Mihn City, Vietnam (connections in Frankfurt and Singapore)
- January 5-10: Vietnam, where you'll stay at Caravelle Hotel, Saigon
- January 10-16: Singapore, where you'll stay at Swissôtel Merchant Court, Singapore
- January 17: Arrive back in US (fly Singapore to JFK - connection in Frankfurt)
More information on hotels; transportation; company visits; cultural/group events will be made available over the coming months. View a sample itinerary (tentative and subject to revision/change).
How to Apply
To apply, please fill out this form. (Enrollment has closed.)
- Participants are selected via a competitive application process.
- Students may be invited for interview (conducted on a rolling basis) as part of this selection process.
- Only students that have submitted a complete application form will be considered.
- Deadline: Monday, September 23, 2019.
- Students will be notified of their acceptance early October, 2019.
- Open to all undergraduate senior business and economic students - including IBE, CSB, and CAS students majoring in either economics or the joint International Relations and Economics Program. Also, open to all masters students in the College of Business.
- Good academic standing.
- $3,950 (approx.) This fee includes; airfare for all flights; hotel accommodation (based on 2 sharing, includes breakfast & wifi) in Vietnam and Singapore; local transportation to company visits in Vietnam and Singapore; some cultural excursions and some meals.
- A mandatory $50 study abroad iSOS registration fee will be charged to your Bursar account once you have a confirmed place on the trip.
- Students will be responsible for organizing and any costs associated with visas (see information below)
- Students will be asked to consult with their health care provider regarding recommended vaccinations for travel to Vietnam. They will be responsible for organizing and any costs associated with any such vaccinations.
- Group transportation from Lehigh University to JFK Airport and return can arranged at an additional cost.
- Please note that ALL students must travel as a group. We have a group booking for all flights associated with this program and included in the cost of the program. Unfortunately we can not accommodate students wishing to travel to/from Vietnam or Singapore independently (no exceptions).
- A visa is required for U.S. Citizens to enter Vietnam. Currently, there are NO VISA requirements for US Citizens to enter Singapore. Instructions on how to apply for a visa and the necessary supporting documentation will be given to all participants at the Mandatory Orientation Meeting to be held sometime mid-October. Date, time and location to be confirmed.
Important Information for Non-US Citizens Wishing to Apply:
- In addition to the passport requirement stated above, non-U.S. citizens wishing to apply for the Global Lab will need to submit proof that their F1 visa or J1 visa and I-20 or DS2019 are valid beyond the return date to the U.S. from this trip.
- Non-U.S. citizens may require visas to enter Vietnam and/or Singapore. Students will be responsible for arranging their visa and any costs associated with the visa application. You can check any visa requirements based on your citizenship at the relevant Embassy (Vietnam and Singapore).
Students should refer to St. Luke's Travel Clinic to consult about recommended vaccinations for travel to Vietnam. The University Health Center DOES NOT administer any of the recommended vaccines.
- Limited financial support is available to students who demonstrate financial need.
- To apply complete Travel Grant Request Form. Instructions on how to apply are included on the form.
- Students may also be eligible to apply for a Student Loan.
Professor of Management
Charles Stevens (ADD LINK)
Associate Professor of Management