This one-day program is designed for mid- and senior-level managers who either work remotely or supervise individuals who work remotely, and is available as part of our Executive Certificate in Management and Leadership or for the Executive Certificate in Project Management.
Studies show that most of today’s corporate teams are partly or wholly virtual. As companies continue to be pressured to reduce costs, bring in external partners, merge with and acquire geographically distant organizations, and address employee requirements for flexibility, the number of virtual teams will continue to grow. As it does, virtual team leadership will become a core competency. But the rise of virtual teams doesn’t mean they’re working well. A study by MIT’s Sloan Management Review found that only 18 percent of the teams assessed were highly successful. That low number is attributed to three reasons: poor leadership, communication, and engagement.
Leading Virtual Teams was designed to help you build the skills needed to promote high performance. You will improve your ability communicate with, engage, and coach remote team members and external partners. You will also learn tactics for running effective virtual meetings and better influencing key stakeholders. This full day workshop will share the latest research and insights on successful virtual team leadership, and use hands-on personal exercises to help you begin applying what you learn. You will leave ready to lead your team with new skills and tools, and follow up with your successes and challenges in a post-program video conference.
Impact & Benefits
- Work more constructively with remote direct reports, increasing engagement, performance, and retention
- Lead highly effective virtual meetings by following a list of actions to take before, during, and after
- Set virtual team communication and availability norms for work across diverse geographies and time zones
- Develop a Personal Virtual Influence Plan for staying top of mind with key stakeholders
- Establish leadership goals and share progress in a post-program video conference with the instructor and fellow participants
Who Should Attend
- Senior or Mid-Level Managers or Leaders responsible for
- 1) a geographically distributed organization or team (spread across more than one office location or combined with remote workers)
- 2) a fully remote organization
- A leader, manager, or direct report at any level who is working fully remotely within an organization
- A leader, manager, or account owner who is responsible for working with remote external partners (for example: advertising/marketing agencies, law firms, other client/partner relationships)
Sacha Connor, virtual leadership expert and founder of Virtual Work Insider™, a consultancy that coaches organizations to work seamlessly across distance. Sacha has 18 years of business leadership experience both client and agency-side, and 8 years of experience leading large, distributed teams fully remotely. As one of the first remote marketing directors, she led brands worth over $250 million in sales and sat on the leadership team for a $1 billion division at The Clorox Company. Sacha founded and led the first-ever Virtual Workforce Employee Resource Group which grew to 750 global members.
Sacha has spoken about remote work at multiple events including FlexJob’s TRaD conference and Remote Year’s Future of Work Summit and has been published by groups such as The Network of Executive Women and quoted in articles by FlexJobs and SHRM.
The cost of this program is $1120, which includes all program materials, program meals (continental breakfast and lunch), networking opportunities with like-minded professionals, and a certificate of completion.
“We needed better methods to ensure that our teams that were spread across 4 office sites and 4 time zones were able to innovate quickly and effectively. Sacha brought concrete plans on how to do this.”
Priscilla Tuan, SVP Marketing & Innovation, Sovos Brands
Already have your mind made up? View our registration and program calendar page.