This program, which is comprised of three separate two-day modules, is designed for early and mid-level professionally who have recently transitioned to leadership roles, and results in an Executive Certificate in Transformational Leadership. Participants must be able to attend all three of the scheduled modules.
While it’s true that some are born with strong, innate leadership talents, it’s also true that leadership can be learned. Everyone can improve their capacity to lead both by learning specific skills such as persuasion and decision-making, and by looking inward to tap authentic sources of strength.
Transformational Leadership: Skills for Impact, Persuasion and Decision-Making is an intellectually and personally challenging program that will enhance your performance regardless of your current role. Through lectures, readings, simulations, assessments, group activities, writing assignments, and discussions, this six-day learning laboratory will help you develop the essential abilities needed to better meet personal, interpersonal, and organizational challenges.
Module 1: May 14-15, 2019
Teams and Effective Problem Solving: discover what makes a great team, understand a framework for effective team problem solving, experience a team project, explore your ability to work with others, and enhance your decision-making ability
Module 2: May 28-29, 2019
Leadership and Political Savvy: read and navigate the political landscape of organizations, diagnose organizational politics, learn the practical power of trust and how to lower the transactional costs of forging agreements with others, protect yourself from those who act only in their self-interest
Module 3: June 11-12, 2019
Persuasion, Influence, and Power: appreciate the practical uses of power, persuasion and influence, acquire a framework for making agreements with others (where you don’t have authority), solve a case study illustrating several real-world challenges, gain knowledge of typical types of decision making and decision biases.
Impact & Benefits
- Strengthen key skills including ethically persuading others to join your side; making effective, tough decisions; coaching others and providing valuable feedback; and navigating organizational politics
- Develop a leadership mindset and toolkit, understanding when, where, and why to apply specific tools and techniques
- Increase authenticity and self-knowledge, setting a vision for where you want to be professionally and personally and how you will get there
- Understand team dynamics and the unique leadership challenges in a team environment
- Learn through evidence-based research from a number of disciplines including management science, decision sciences, social psychology, positive psychology, game theory, and behavioral economics.
- Participate in a small feedback group that explores classroom learnings, shares current challenges and future plans, and provides peer coaching and accountability
Who Should Attend
- Early- and mid-level professionals who have recently transitioned or anticipate transitioning into a leadership role, including:
- New managers
- Engineers and others with technical backgrounds
- Individual contributors seeking roles with management responsibilities
- Volunteer leaders in civic, non-profit, or religious organizations
Dwight Jaggard, Ph.D., Professor of Electrical and Systems Engineering, The University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Jaggard is the author of numerous books, co-founder of a high-technology start-up, and recipient of both teaching and IEEE awards. He was the founding director of the Executive Master’s in Technology Management Program, a partnership between Wharton and Penn’s Engineering School that was widely considered the premier program of its type in the US. He has facilitated leadership education on four continents.
The cost of the Executive Certificate in Transformational Leadership is $6680, which includes all program materials, program meals (continental breakfast and lunch), exceptional learning opportunities with faculty, and networking with a diverse group of fellow participants. It also includes the final Executive Certificate, which will be presented at the end of the last module. Accommodations and dinners are not included.
Already have your mind made up? View our registration and program calendar page.